This page documents good quotes I came across.
# 2014 年 8 月 16 日
由 HK 坐飞机去美国念书。晚上的飞机，白天无事，便凭着一股热情和少年无知一人在手机无网的情况下在 HK 乱逛。好在 MTR 的工作人员和 HK 的路人都十分热情礼貌，告知我路线。去了李小龙的住址（当时成为一家酒店）和黄家驹的墓。也许因不常去 HK，机会难得，当天的情景都历历在目，仿佛发生在昨日。在家驹的墓前，有一本石书，左右分别写：
# 2019 年 9 月
- What you are you do not see, what you see is your shadow
- The bird wishes it were a cloud. The cloud wishes it were a bird
- The waterfall sings, "I find my song, when I find my freedom"
- You smiled and talked to me of nothing and I felt that for this I had been waiting long
- Life is given to us, we earn it by giving it
- Chastity is a wealth that comes from abundance of love
- Let life be beautiful like summer flowers and death like autumn leaves (生如夏花之绚烂，死如秋叶之静美)
- The grass seeks her crowd in the earth. The tree seeks his solitude of the sky
# 2019 年 11 月 30 日
随性看，两三个星期后，终于读完了《京华烟云》，很精彩。LYT 还是读了许多书的人，对儒释道都有研究，以木兰为主角，讲了中国 1900-1938 年的大事件与姚曾两家人物的际遇。虽有些瑕疵，但瑕不掩瑜，我从中也学到了许多中国 20 世纪前 40 年的近代历史、为人处事之道、和一些新奇的知识。我十分挑剔，佳句不断，但只记录了以下几句不错的话：
# 2019 年 12 月 1 日
To love oneself is the beginning of a lifelong romance.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has it limits.
At the heart of science is an essential balance between two seemingly contradictory attitudes--an openness to new ideas, no matter how bizarre or counterintuitive they may be, and the most ruthless skeptical scrutiny of all ideas, old and new. This is how deep truths are winnowed from deep nonsense.
- Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine.
- We shall do a much better programming job, provided we approach the task with a full appreciation of its tremendous difficulty, provided that we respect the intrinsic limitations of the human mind and approach the task as very humble programmers.
I think that it’s extraordinarily important that we in computer science keep fun in computing. When it started out, it was an awful lot of fun…I hope the field of computer science never loses its sense of fun…What’s in your hands, I think and hope, is intelligence: the ability to see the machine as more than when you were first led up to it, that you can make it more.
Alan J. Perlis
Information is the resolution of uncertainty.
Claude Elwood Shannon
- Testing shows the presence, not the absence of bugs.
- Elegance is not a dispensable luxury but a quality that decides between success and failure.
- Simplicity is prerequisite for reliability.
Edsger Wybe Dijkstra
- Premature optimization is the root of all evil.
- When I speak about computer programming as an art, I am thinking primarily of it as an art form, in an aesthetic sense. The chief goal of my work as an educator and author is to help people learn how to write beautiful programs ... My feeling is that when we prepare a program, the experience can be just like composing poetry or music ... Some programs are elegant, some are exquisite, some are sparkling. My claim is that it is possible to write grand programs, noble programs, truly magnificent ones! ... computer programming is an art, because it applies accumulated knowledge to the world, because it requires skill and ingenuity, and especially because it produces objects of beauty. Programmers who subconsciously view themselves as artists will enjoy what they do and will do it better.
There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies. And the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies.
The purpose of computation is insight, not numbers.
- Software is like sex: It's better when it's free.
- Talk is cheap. Show me the code.
- Those that can, do. Those that can't, complain.
- The Linux philosophy is 'Laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong - One. 'Do it yourself'. Yes, that's it.
- See, you not only have to be a good coder to create a system like - Linux, you have to be a sneaky bastard too.
- I'm an egotistical bastard, and I name all my projects after myself. - First 'Linux', now 'git'.
Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can't lose. And it's an unreliable guide to the future.
Now, it's my belief that Python is a lot easier than to teach to students programming and teach them C or C++ or Java at the same time because all the details of the languages are so much harder. Other scripting languages really don't work very well there either.
Guido van Rossum
The function of good software is to make the complex appear to be simple.
即使除去所有的太阳、长眠不醒，也不愿与你分离。世人从这句话中体会到了爱人间的浪漫，但可曾痛苦于执着？Love is a sweet pain.